Today is a fine Monday morning; you are ready to start with your work. You connect your USB drive to your system to carry on with your project only to find a “the parameter is incorrect” error message.
This is one of the frustrating experiences that most of us face at one point in life. Unfortunately, when this problem happens, you are unable to access the drive or its data.
What Does “Parameter Is Incorrect” Mean?
The parameters are incorrect is an error message that restricts your system from accessing the system or connected drives. Or you can even say that this message occurs when your system cannot find the drive in the system.
There are a few reasons behind this problem. For instance, there can be damaged drives or unrecognizable file systems.
Here are some of the causes that support this problem:
- Corrupts Files: Sometimes, the drive gets corrupted. This makes the drive inaccessible by the system. If you ever encounter such a scenario, you must make data recovery your priority.
- Permission Restriction: There is a possibility that the user account you are using might not have the right permission to access or make any changes in the drive.
- Physical Damage: This is when your drive has been roughly handled and has accrued physical damages. Physical damages result in technical issues and rest in The Parameter Is Incorrect error.
- Windows Might Require An Update: While using an operating system, ensure that you are running an updated windows version.
- Virus Infection: Sometimes, external attacks can damage the drives at the software level.
Solutions To The Parameter Is Incorrect Error
As we have already mentioned the reason behind the error, we now know that multiple scenarios can lead to an Incorrect Parameter error. Therefore, every scenario needs a different solution to solve the problem.
Here we have enumerated different solutions to ensure you have at least one solution at your disposal to solve the error.
Solution 1: Change Decimal Symbol Setting
Different languages use different decimal symbols. Therefore, there is a possibility that your decimal symbol might have changed, which is causing the error of the incorrect parameter.
Follow the steps to change the Decimal Symbol.
- Open Control panel.
- Search the region.
- Go to the additional settings.
- Check the decimal symbol and ensure that it is “.”.
- Now Reboot the system.
Solution 2: Run SFC Command Prompt
Command Prompt is one of the advanced features that you get with the Windows operating system. It lets you locate the errors with a few command lines. One such command is the SFC command. It scans your computers for any missing file system and replaces them.
Follow the steps to run this command:
- Type CMD.
- Select Run As Administrator.
- Now type the following command: SFC/scannow.
- Wait for this command to run.,
- Reboot the system.
Solution 3: Run CHKDSK Command
This is similar to solution three but targets the external hard drives. While using this solution, you have to make an ore of the drive letter before initiating the scan.
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Run As Administrator.
- Now Type: chkdsk F: /f /x /r.
- Here F is the drive letter.
- The command will scan the drive, check for errors, and solve the error.
Solution 4: Format The Drive
Formatting the drive is the easiest way to solve the problem. However, this solution has a major drawback. While formatting, you risk losing all your data from the drive. If you have any backups, then this solution is the best solution on the list. However, if you do not have any backups and want to use this solution, you need to have a data recovery solution ready, just in case.
If you have no idea about the data recovery solution, we recommend a data recovery software tool. It is one of the best software to recover deleted and lost data.
We hope you get all the guidance, which you need when you are experiencing “The Parameter is Incorrect Error Windows 10.” In case you have any other queries or doubts regarding these issues, feel free to reach us.
We always try hard to get back soon with the best possible answers. Till then, you can go through these most common questions with their answers regarding that particular issue.
1. How Do I Fix The Parameter Is Incorrect Windows 10?
In this article, we have already talked about the ways to fix the “How Do I Fix The Parameter Is Incorrect Windows 10?” issue. Here we are just briefing the methods.
- Do a quick scan.
- For fixing drive errors, run Chkdsk.
- On External Drive, run SFC/scannow.
- Reformat the External Drive.
- Update both the USB Driver and Disk Drive.
- Make sure of the Decimal Symbol in Time and Date Settings.
2. Why Does My Hard Drive Say The Parameter Is Incorrect?
The “The Parameter is Incorrect Error Windows 10” is probably the most common issue, which is associated with the external storage device. As a result of either physical or logical damage of the external hard drive, the external hard drive becomes inaccessible, and this issue occurs.
3. How Do I Change Drive Parameters?
For changing the drive parameters, you are required to follow the below-mentioned steps. Let’s check them out.
- Right-click on My Computer or This PC.
- Go to Properties.
- Go to Advanced System Settings.
- Click on Settings in the performance section.
- Click on the option, Change in the Virtual Memory Section.
- If the “Automatically manage paging…” is already selected, uncheck it.
- Now it is time to select the drive in question. Select the “No Paging File” radio button, and after that, click set.
- For the paging file, you might have to select another drive.
- Now Restart your Computer.
- Launch disk management and then change the drive letter.
That’s it for today’s article. We hope that the above solution will help you solve the incorrect parameter issue. All the solutions that we have listed in this article are easily executable. If you face any problem while solving the error, feel free to contact us.